Custom Search

Sunday, June 22, 2008

Jesse McCartney for UK's AXM Magazine



Teen heartthrob Jesse McCartney graces the cover of AXM Magazine for July 2008. The surprising thing is AXM is a gay magazine. Anyway no big deal he's 21 already and he wanna reach 'other' audience . He talks about Miley Cyrus, Justin Timberlake and the alleged rivalry with Disney co-star Zac Efron. Here's what JMac has to say…


Do you still consider yourself a heartthrob?
My attitude has changed about that title and I think there’ll be someone that will fill that space very soon, if not already. Heartthrob? I’m easy…

We love the new album. Especially the rude lyrics and innuendos on tracks Rock You and Into Ya…
Definitely! I mean the record in itself is a little bit more sensual and there’s certainly some shock value. Like Into Ya – there’s a play on words there! It allows me to be cheeky but not over the top. It just feels like this is the record I have to make at my age.

Speaking of which, what’s the best thing about turning 21?
Well I can go order a beer and not have to worry about breaking the law, so that’s always nice! I guess that 21 is certainly a pivotal year growing up in America. Over here in the UK you can be drinking when you’re like, 11, so it doesn’t matter.

You get a bit nekkid in your new video, was that your decision?
Yeah myself and the director who I had worked with before. It’s a little bit racier, a little bit more intimate and, mmm! Since then I haven’t been back in the gym so when I shoot the next one, I’m gonna have to go back. I’ve been on the road, and eating…

Do you feel the pressure to work out?
Well, you don’t wanna be doing the shirtless when you’ve just got off a tour. And it feels good man. It was the first time I really worked out and had a regimented schedule in the gym. I felt a lot healthier and was in better condition, even vocally.

The camera is up your face in the video, do you ever get angry with paparazzis?
The paparazzi, yeah you just wanna smack ‘em all in the face. But for the video I knew it was going to be intimate. I had a chance to hang with the actress in it, Nikki. We went to dinner together. I know the director so I wasn’t worried. With the paparazzi though, those guys are really out of control.

You’re certainly a sex symbol. And now you’ll have us boys chasing after you as well…
Hey man! The more the merrier! You know a fan’s a fan. You know it doesn’t matter what your sexuality is.

Have you played in gay clubs before?
I haven’t played any gay clubs. I think we’re gonna try and do some of that over here in the UK, but I’ve never done it before.

Will you be taking your top off?
Like I said, if I get back in the gym, it’s a possibility! I know that umm… the fans might appreciate it. I dunno. We’ll see at the time, if it’s right!

We have to ask about the Leona Lewis’ track Bleeding Love which you co-wrote. That’s pretty amazing…
Well I’ll tell ya, it certainly took Ryan and I by surprise. (Ryan Tedder of OneRepublic). We never expected it to do what it did. It couldn’t of happened to a better person too. I met Leona at a bar, we had a few drinks and hung out.

Most songs these days have 12 co-writers. This was just two…
It was a fun record to write. We were in a mood that day that we just had to get it down on paper, we knew it felt like a really good song.

Wasn’t it a shame to let it go?
Er… no. I think we both kind of decided it did need a female vocalist. I recorded it, it’s actually on a European version of the album. I cut it because it didn’t fit with the other material. And we decided it would sound better with a diva, a big pop diva.

Jesse’s new album Departure is out now.

No comments: